There are many reasons why someone would need a filling. All of your dentist at HomeTown Dental check for each tooth during a regular checkup. The most common is when a cavity in your tooth is ignored and becomes one of the following:
- Tooth decay – from our sugary diet, bacteria forms an acid that dissolves the enamel. If left untreated, cavities can lead to serious dental problems – including pain and infection.
- Enamel loss – wear and abrasion can cause sensitivity
- A broken or lost filling.
Important of a check-up
Most cavities begin without you knowing, The lack of pain or sensitivity is why it’s important to see your HomeTown Dental dentist for regular check-ups and dental care. During these check-ups, your dentist will examine your teeth and take X-rays if necessary to get a better look.
What do fillings do for my teeth?
Fillings help stop further tooth decay and restore the missing tooth structure or enamel. Here are some symptoms to watch for that might indicate if you need a filling:
- Noticeable holes that can be seen by the eye or felt with the tongue
- sensitivity to heat or cold or pressure
- pain on biting or chewing
- floss that keeps tearing in a particular gap
It is common to have anxiety once a dentist tells you that you need a filling. Let us put some of those nerves at ease by explaining the process:
- Optional anesthesia – used to numb and minimize discomfort during the procedure
- Preparation – The tooth is prepped by removing decay/caries/old fillings. Then it is cleaned and dried
- Filling the tooth – Filling material is placed to fill the cavity
- Adjusting the filling – The last step is to ensure the bite is correct and polish the tooths surface
After the quick procedure, the anesthesia will wear off in a couple of hours. We highly suggest avoiding hot food and drinks to prevent accidentally biting into your cheek or tongue while it is numb. This sensitivity typically lessens and settles within a few hours. If you experience significant discomfort, do not hesitate to contact your local HomeTown Dental.
If you think you might need a filling, contact us today, or fill out a form online. It is better to take care of any cavities sooner than later.
Image via Getty Images. Creative number 1035280700