When it comes to treating cavities, taking care of your oral health is hard work, but somebody has to do it. HomeTown Dental strives to provide you and your family with the best service possible so you can avoid these pesky problems before they occur. From teeth cleaning to root canals, HomeTown Dental offers dentals services to meet the needs of your family.
What to Know About Treating Cavities
What Can Cause Cavities?
Cavities are a common dental issue. It happens the same all the time, as soon as you feel that pain in your teeth you instantly regret all those sweets you’ve enjoyed. While sugar is a major cause of cavities, especially among children, it isn’t the only culprit. Any plaque buildup that is left exposed to your pearly whites can cause tooth decay.
What Are Different Types of Cavities?
Tooth decay can affect a tooth differently depending on where it happens. Because of this, there are different types of cavities including:
- Root – These are more common among adults because of possible gum issues.
- Pit & Fissure – These commonly occur on the back rows of teeth because plaque is often exposed to their surfaces.
- Smooth-Surface – These are less common, but happen consistently on the side teeth.
Each type of cavity requires different treatment by a dentist. To be correctly identified a dentist may need to do dental x-rays to detect any internal tooth decay.
How Do I Go About Treating Cavities?
If it is discovered you or your child has a cavity, no worries! We can help. The only way to take care of a cavity is to have a dentist resolve it. Depending on how severe or the location of the decay, there are a few options for treatment:
- Root Canals – are a normal solution for more advanced stages of decay. This thoroughly removes the decayed pulp and involves having a crown or filling.
- Dental Cleanings – Some smaller infections, especially on the sides of the teeth, can be treated with fluoride or cleanings.
Without a doubt, the best treatment is prevention. If you maintain a consistent hygienic routine and visit HomeTown Dental regularly, rest assured that if any issues do appear, we can begin treating cavities immediately. Sometimes even that day! Schedule your appointment at Fort Worth dentist today!
Image from Thinkstock by Getty Images. Item number: 672876462