We have all brushed our teeth since at least since the age of three but do you know how to brush your teeth properly? When it comes to brushing your teeth, there is a right and a wrong way to do it. If you follow these easy steps and have regular visits to HomeTown Dental, you will have fresh breath and healthy teeth.
It Takes Two Minutes
To ensure you remove all plaque or bacteria in your mouth, you should brush for at least 2 minutes. This amount of time might seem long, but it is necessary. A good way to break it up is in four sections, spending 30 seconds on each part. Until you have a feel for how long 2 minutes is, try using a stopwatch. Many electric toothbrushes run for 2 minutes on their own, so you know when you have brushed for the proper amount of time.
All About The Technique
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
If you are more of a visual learner, here is a short video by Colgate to demonstrate the techniques above.
The teeth you have now are the ones you will have forever, so it is very important to take care of them the best you can. The best thing you can do is brush your teeth properly, eat a balanced diet with a little amount of sugar, and continue to see your HomeTown Dental dentist regularly. If you have any questions or need to schedule your next appointment, contact us today.
Image via Getty Images. Creative number 878562362.